RHODI

Newport Historical Society


Newport Historical Society


About

The Newport Historical Society was chartered in 1854 to collect and preserve books, manuscripts, and objects pertaining to Newport’s history. The Society’s collections originated thirty years earlier as the “Southern Cabinet” of the Rhode Island Historical Society. By 1853, several prominent Newporters recognized the need for a separate organization specifically devoted to preserving the history of Newport County, and the collections of the Southern Cabinet were reorganized under the auspices of the Newport Historical Society.


Address
  • 82 Touro Street
  • Newport
  • RI
  • 02840
Contact

Information

Gift shop:

Yes