Bristol Historical and Preservation Society
The Bristol Historical and Preservation Society was founded in 1936 to promote interest in historical research, stimulate the study of the history of Southern New England, especially the Town of Bristol, and collect and preserve whatever is reated thereto. It is located in an 1828 jail built of granite blocks used as ballast in early Bristol sailing ships. It houses a museum with collections from early Bristol, a research library and a major collection of early Bristol portraits including four by itinerant artist Cephus Thompson. Among its several exhibit spaces is a Children's room containing early dolls, toys, clothes, and doll houses, and a 1859 two-tier cell block addition which holds additional displays.
- 48 Court St